- Name Of Department - Cardiology
- Head Of Department - Dr. N. O. Bansal
- Address - Grant Medical College, It is located on the 4th floor of the main building, J.J. hospital.
- Phone Numbers - 022-23735555022-23735555 ( Extn. 2284/2252) - 022- 27738947022- 27738947 (direct)
- Fax N0 - 022-2373 55 99022-2373 55 99
About the department
Faculty - Department of Cardiology:
- Dr. N. O. Bansal - MD (medicine), DM (cardiology), DNB (cardiology) (Professor and Head of Department)
- Dr.Anil Kumar - MBBS DM (Cardio) (Professor)
- Dr. Bhanu Kapoor - DM (cardiology) (Associate Professor)
- Dr.Rajesh Rajani - DM (cardiology) (Assistant Professor)
- Dr.Kalyan Munde - MD (medicine), DM (cardiology) (Assistant Professor)
- Dr.Nagesh Waghmare - MD (medicine), DM (cardiology) (Assistant Professor)
- Dr.Sanjay Shivapuje - MD (medicine), DM (cardiology) (Assistant Professor)
- Dr.Mayur Jain - MD (medicine), DM (cardiology) (Assistant Professor)
- 2DEchocardiography with Color Doppler: -
2D Echocardiography is a unique noninvasive method for imaging the heart. It is based on detection of echoes produced by a beam of ultrasound. Echocardiography provides information about the structure and the function of the heart. It can detect and quantify the severity of most congenital or acquired heart disorders and heart function in ischemic heart disease, Hypertension and Cardiomypathy. We perform this test in all adults, children and also in pregnant women to detect any cardiac abnormality in the growing fetus. On an average 1200 echocardigrams are performed every month.
A Color Doppler, which is done at the same time, is an important complement to the two-dimensional image. It provides a visual multicolor display of the blood flow within the heart. It provides unique hemodynamic information otherwise not available without invasive monitoring. Echo gives information about the state of the heart anatomy, Chamber size, Cardiac function, the state of the valves and in children a complete assessment of holes and other structural details of the heart.
The department has full fledged state of the art four Echocardiography units along with specialized transesophageal probes to carry out complete ECHO evaluation for diagnosis and a therapeutic aid.
- Cardiac Stress Test: - This is an exercise test used to evaluate how your heart responds to the physical stress. Exercise stress testing is tremendously informative in screening for coronary artery disease as well as periodically following known heart disease. This test is usually ordered for patients who are experiencing symptoms of chest discomfort, shortness of breath or palpitations (irregular heart beat). The ECG is monitored continuously during the test to watch for any changes that suggest ischemiaÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ an insufficient delivery of oxygen to the working heart muscle. It also provides information regarding your level of physical fitness and can be used to try and bring out any heart rhythm disturbances. The department carries out almost 500 stress test every month.
- ICCU : - It is a specialized unit in the care of patients with acute heart attacks, unstable angina, cardiac dysrhythmia, Heart failure and various other cardiac conditions that require continuous monitoring. The ICCU is equipped with all the latest state of the art intensive care equipment including multichannel multiparameter monitors, defibrillator, temporary pacemakers, intraaortic balloon pump, ventilators, fluoroscopy unit and Echocardiography unit etc. In the ICCU intensive continuous monitoring of vital parameters like heart rate, BP, venous pressure, oxygen saturation are all done as indicated in individual patient. This helps the treating Cardiologist to assess patient condition critically and decide about best therapeutic regime as required in the given patient. Such units are mandatory for stabilizing critically ill patients thereby improving prognosis and outcome of such patients, who would have otherwise perished in the absence of such monitoring facilities. The ICCU works for 24 X 7 X365 uninterrupted free of cost. The medical staff is highly qualified and very well trained to deal with all kinds of cardiac emergencies promptly.
- Coronary Angiography & Angioplasty : -
A coronary Angiography is a minimally invasive procedure to access the coronary circulation and blood filled chambers of the heart using a catheter. Coronary Angiography is a visually interpreted test performed to recognize occlusion, stenosis, restenosis, thrombosis or aneurysmal enlargement of the coronary artery lumens. Angiography is also carried out in small children requiring full definition of the cardiac structural abnormalities and function of the chambers. The angiography unit also provides services for peripheral vascular disease besides the cardiac problems.
The angiography unit is equipped with two fully equipped latest cardiac catheterization units along with all the accessories including intraaortic balloon pump. This unit also provides facilities of intra vascular ultra sound (IVUS) imaging of coronary arteries, which is only available in few select hospitals in this country.
Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), commonly known as coronary angioplasty is a therapeutic procedure to treat the stenotic (narrowed) coronary arteries of the heart found in coronary heart disease. These stenotic segments are due to the buildup of cholesterol-laden plaques that form due to atherosclerosis. Treatment with PCI for patients with stable coronary artery disease relieves angina besides saving lives in critical patients of cardiogenic shock and improve the outcome in the treatment of heart attack by carrying out primary angioplasty procedure in acute myocardial infarction.
In this unit we carry out a sizable number of angiography and and angioplasty in pediatric group too, which includes opening of narrowed valves with balloon and fixing up holes in the heart with devices which obviate the need for major cardiac surgery.
Beside these in this unit we carry out different kinds of valvuloplasties peripheral arterial interventions, pacemaker implantation of all kinds and placing heart failure devices and implantable defibrillator.
This unit carries several thousand procedures every year at very low cost and sizable proportion of patients undergo expensive procedures free of cost under the government scheme mainly Rajiv Gandhi Jeevandayi Yojna for BPL category patients.